Earning Credit for Military Training and Education

The University will grant credit for those military service schools that have been evaluated by the Office on Educational Credit and Credentials of the American Council on Education (ACE) as well as select military schools that have undergone institutional reviews to award additional credits not recommended by ACE.

While members of the armed forces currently on active duty should have access to their Joint Services Transcript (JST), there is no need to request the initial transcript, as the University will make the first request on behalf of the servicemember, upon their application to the University. Air Force members should submit an official transcript from the Community College of the Air Force (CCAF) to receive credit.

Since 1950, a separation report has been identified as DD Form 214. Prior to 1950, Army and Air Force veterans were issued a Separation Qualification Record; Navy and Coast Guard veterans were issued a Notice of Separation; Marine Corps veterans were issued a Report of Separation. A notarized photocopy of the original separation report should be submitted to the University. Students should not submit the original. Students unable to locate the original separation report can request a copy from The National Personnel Records Center, Military Personnel Records, 9700 Page Blvd., St. Louis, MO 63132, and forward it with the cover form from the National Personnel Records Center to the University. Members of the reserves or National Guard should contact their units for any necessary documentation.

In certain circumstances Thomas Edison State University will accept the certification of a commissioned officer in the United States armed forces in lieu of a notary public’s signature. To submit documents certified by a commissioned officer, download the Commissioned Officer Notary Public form located on the Student Forms page.